Oprah Winfrey named her dead son that she gave birth to at age 14 “Canaan,” because the name means “new life.”
Oprah was raped at age 9 by a cousin and was sexually molested by family members from ages 9 through 13, Examiner reported.
Winfrey gave birth to a premature baby boy when she was 14 years old. Oprah’s son died shortly after childbirth.
“I did have a son,” said Oprah, 61. “And I named him Canaan because Canaan means new land, new life.”
Winfrey said she decided to name her son 47 years after he died after being prompted by a reporter.
“I did an interview with a reporter before I came to Australia and she said, ‘You should name the baby son who died,'” Oprah recalled. “So I have named him. I had a little boy named Canaan.”
Winfrey, who overcame childhood sexual abuse to become a self-made billionaire, said she feels fantastic after losing 15 pounds in 2 months on the Weight Watchers diet.
“Since August 12, I’ve lost 15 pounds,” Oprah said on the Ellen DeGeneres Show. “Weight Watchers has given me the tools to have accountability to myself.”
The Weight Watchers program focuses on portion control, mindful eating and a point system that enables dieters to keep track of their caloric intake.
Winfrey, whose weight has fluctuated through the years, is thrilled with her 15-pound weight loss, but said she has finally made peace after years of hating her body.
“All the years I dieted, complained, and was less than satisfied with my shape have yielded to a new perspective, an appreciation for the body that’s brought me this far,”Oprah wrote in O, The Oprah Magazine. “I’ve spent too many years resisting, neglecting and negating my body.”
Winfrey, who once weighed 237 pounds, no longer worries about being skinny, but about being strong and healthy.
“Think about it: You get one chance to be 25, 38, 44, 61 and every age before and between,” said Oprah. “Why wouldn’t you want to experience all the wonder in each step on your path?”
With the 2015 Christmas holiday season in full swing, Winfrey recently revealed her list of Favorite Things.
This year, Oprah has partnered with Amazon to reveal her Favorite Things, which include 87 fantastic home, health, kitchen, and wellness items.
Among the Oprah’s favorite things for 2015 are:
- The Footnanny foot treatment set, which includes eucalyptus foot cream, foot salts and cotton socks so you can have beautiful, smooth feet year-round.
- The KNORK Titanium 5 Piece Flatware Set. Modern design and practical function converge to create the ultimate game changer in the art of dining.
- The T-fal OptiGrill Indoor Electric Grill. The first electric grill that cooks food based on the program selected (burger, poultry, sandwiches, sausage and pork, red meat or fish).
- The Deux Lux Women’s NYC Weekender. This elegant handbag can also easily double as a gym bag.
- The UGG Australia Kristin slim boot. This slimline sheepskin and suede boot offers added arch support, a small wedge, and incredibly lightweight traction.
- The Typhoon Vision Food Kitchen Scale. Available in six festive colors, Typhoon Vision kitchen scales offer a simple way to measure and read food and liquids at a quick glance.
- The Apple Watch Sport. This elegant rose gold comes with a heart rate sensor, accelerometer and gyroscope.
Check out the rest of Oprah’s Favorite Things for 2015 at her Amazon storefront.