Dr. Oz discussed how you can boost thyroid function to boost weight loss and speed up your metabolism on a recent episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
“If you have unexplained weight loss, feel cold and exhausted, you may have a sluggish thyroid,” said Dr. Oz. “And it could be the cause of your biggest weight loss problems.”
The symptoms of a sluggish thyroid include:
- unexplained weight gain
- cold sensitivity.
- brittle hair, nails, and skin
Doctors often fail to diagnose thyroid problems, but they’re shockingly common. Even simple blood tests could miss this disorder.
The thyroid is a small gland in your neck that regulates hormone production and metabolism. If the thyroid gets even a little sluggish, you will feel lethargic and gain weight.
To combat a sluggish thyroid, you need to get enough zinc, selenium and iodine in your diet.
Foods rich in these minerals include the following:
- Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which boost the thyroid. Two nuts a day can improve a sluggish thyroid.
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a proven thyroid booster. Cantaloupes and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, or you can take a daily supplement.
- Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of selenium.
- Dulse flakes. Dulse flakes, which are made from seaweed, are high in iodine.
- Miso soup. Miso soup is high in zinc and enhances the thyroid-boosting properties of iodine.
You should also make sure you get enough vitamin D in your diet. Foods rich in vitamin D include salmon, eggs yolks, cheese, sardines, and beef liver.
Getting sunlight exposure is also helpful for proper thyroid function, so make sure you soak in a few minutes of vitamin D rays every day.
Fat-Burners That Boost Weight Loss and Curb Hunger
Dr. Oz suggested using the following fat-burning supplements to suppress appetite and enhance satiety:
- Konjac root powder. Konjac root (also known as glucomannan) is a gluten-free soluble fiber that contains no calories, starch, protein, fat, or sugar. Konjac powder induces a full feeling (so you can’t overeat) and has been shown to control blood-sugar levels, making it ideal for people with diabetes.
- Chromium. Chromium is a mineral that has been shown to regulate blood sugar and insulin. “If you balance blood sugar, the weight loss is automatic,” said Dr. Oz.
- Fat-blasting probiotic. The probiotic lactobacillus gasseri boosts metabolism, melts belly fat, reduces inflammation, and blocks fat production.