Dr. Mehmet Oz said you should never ignore insomnia because it could be a hidden sign that you’re suffering from diabetes, depression or sleep apnea on the Aug. 12 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
While most people turn to prescription or over-the-counter or drugs for insomnia, Dr. Oz said the following natural remedies can ease insomnia:
Pumpkin seed powder. Dr. Oz said pumpkin seed powder helps you fall and stay asleep by boosting serotonin levels, which induces relaxation. Add one to two teaspoons of pumpkin seed powder to warm milk and drink 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime.
Valerian root. In addition to alleviating insomnia, valerian root has been shown to reduce depression and anxiety.
For weight loss and depression, Dr. Oz suggested the spice turmeric, which is a natural mood booster that has also been shown to prevent cancer, inflammation, joint pain, and enhance weight loss.
He said research also indicates that curcumin (the raw ingredient in turmeric) treats depression better than prescription drugs. He said curcumin supplements are more effective than cooking with turmeric and suggested the following:
- Take 500mg of curcumin twice a day to combat depression.
- Make sure the curcumin supplement contains 95% curcuminoids.
- Take two tablespoons of turmeric a day to get the same effect as a curcumin supplement.
Mood-Boosting Foods That Fight Depression
The world is reeling from the tragic suicide of Oscar winner Robin Williams, who hanged himself after a long bout of depression.
While you should seek professional help (including erapy and medication) for clinical depression, less serious mood disorders could be alleviated with a few natural remedies.
The foods you eat have a huge impact on your mood. These foods support brain chemistry to reduce depression and improve sleep quality (poor sleep has been proven to cause bad mood and even depression):
- Hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are a natural appetite suppressant that aid weight loss and relieve anxiety and depression.
- Amaranth. This super-grain is high in antioxidants, minerals, fiber and iron, and keeps your blood sugar stable, so you feel more energized.
- Chamomile tea. Chamomile is an anti-anxiety herb that has been shown to fight depression and reduce stress.