Dr. Deepak Chopra credited meditation, mindful eating and yoga for his recent 20 pound weight loss.
Deepak made the remarks during a visit to the Dr. Oz Show. Chopra said he had gained 20 pounds during the past few years due to mindless eating, a hectic work schedule, and poor sleep habits.
Chopra, 66, said the weight gain happened because he wasn’t paying attention to hunger signals from his body and was short-changing himself on sleep.
Lack of sleep disrupts the appetite-regulating hormones ghrelin and leptin, and causes belly-fat storage. Chopra said mindful eating, stress control, and meditation led to an effortless 20-pound weight loss.
Deepak then shared with Dr. Oz some simple steps for regaining control of your diet and health, which he discussed in his bestseller, What Are You Hungry For?
Among the weight loss tips Chopra shared include the following:
- Recognize when you’re feeling emotional.
- Don’t eat when you feel negative emotions like guilt, shame or anger.
- Only eat when you’re physically hungry.
- Don’t multitask while eating.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Eat organic whenever possible.
- Try meditation. Sit quietly for 10-15 minutes to clear your mind.
Dr. Chopra also suggested consuming ginger tea, which boosts metabolism, makes you feel full, and aids digestion. Chopra also shared his secrets for mental/emotional fitness and happiness in Super Brain.