Oprah Winfrey credited meditation, yoga and a portion-controlled Weight Watchers diet for her 26-pound weight loss.
Oprah is so convinced of the weight loss benefits of meditation that she has partnered with Dr. Deepak Chopra to do a free 21-day online meditation course.
Dr. Chopra also lost 20 pounds with meditation, mindful eating and yoga, as Celebrity Health Fitness previously reported. Chopra said mediation promotes natural weight loss by reducing stress.
Stress disrupts the appetite regulating hormones ghrelin and leptin, and causes belly fat storage. Reducing stress is a natural, effective way to lose weight, said Chopra.
Deepak discussed other fitness, happiness and meditation secrets in his bestseller, What Are You Hungry For?
Among the weight loss tips Chopra shared include the following:
- Recognize when you’re feeling emotional.
- Don’t eat when you feel negative emotions like guilt, shame or anger.
- Only eat when you’re physically hungry.
- Don’t multitask while eating.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Eat organic whenever possible.
- Try meditation. Sit quietly for 10-15 minutes to clear your mind.
Dr. Chopra also suggested consuming ginger tea, which boosts metabolism, makes you feel full, and aids digestion. Chopra also shared his secrets for mental/emotional fitness and happiness in Super Brain.