Sign Up! Celebrity Health & Fitness Email Newsletter, Free!  
Health, Beauty, Fitness, Diet, Style & Relationships

Prince Philip Leaves Hospital; Treated for ‘Existing Condition’ Turns 99 in June

Prince Philip, pictured here with the queen, has left the hospital after treatment for an illness. (Photo: Bang ShowBiz)

Prince Philip, pictured here with the queen, has left the hospital after treatment for an illness. (Photo: Bang ShowBiz)

Prince Philip, who will turn 99 in June, is soldiering on. The Duke of Edinburgh was released from King Edward VII Hospital in London on Christmas Eve, after spending four days undergoing treatment.

The royal, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to the hospital as a “precautionary measure” on Friday (Dec. 20).

After a four-day stay, the Duke was seen getting into the passenger seat of a car at around 8.49 am on Tuesday morning.

He’s expected to head for Sandringham in Norfolk to join his wife. She arrived at their estate by train last week.

On Monday (Dec. 23)), Philip’s son and heir to the throne, Prince Charles, gave an update on his father’s health.

“He’s being looked after very well in hospital,” the 71-year-old royal said during a visit to South Yorkshire.

“At the moment that’s all we know… When you get to that age things don’t work so well.”

Buckingham Palace announced in a statement last week that Philip had traveled to the hospital from Norfolk, although not via ambulance.

“The Duke of Edinburgh traveled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition. The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’ Doctor,” the statement said.

The Queen is expected to remain at Sandringham until after the anniversary of her father’s death on Feb. 6.

In 2017, Prince Philip retired from public life and now spends much of his time in Norfolk.

It was revealed in 2018 that he battled through a cracked rib during Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s wedding.

The royal was said to have suffered the injury days before the ceremony after falling in the bath – six weeks after he underwent hip replacement surgery.

A royal insider said at the time: “The Duke is not a fan of showering and prefers to bathe.

Prince Philip went under the knife on April 4 2018 at King Edward VII Hospital in central London for his hip replacement and he subsequently spent nine days on bed rest before being allowed to return home.

As late as this year, the Prince was active including driving himself in a royal Land Rover. But in January, his SUV overturned after pulling out from a driveway onto a highway, according to London’s Guardian newspaper. Witnesses said he was reportedly conscious but very shocked and shaken.

The other car involved was a Kia and its female driver and passenger were treated in hospital and later discharged.

Prince Philip was not charged, but since then palace observers say he hasn’t been himself. He reportedly no longer drives his own car.

He retired from public life in 2017, Palace officials said at the time the decision was due to his age and not related to his health, the AP reported.

  Sign Up! Celebrity Health & Fitness Email Newsletter, Free!