Morrissey Out of Hospital; Concert Dates Uncertain

MorrisseyUK music legend Morrissey, 50, has been released from hospital and is said to be “much improved” after collapsing on stage in Swindon, England, on Saturday night (Oct. 24).

He complained of chest pains and breathing difficulties, which are often symptoms of a heart attack. But there has been no word on the cause of his collapse.

He was just one song into his concert when he collapsed, and is not yet fit to resume his tour, a spokesperson for the star said.

“Tonight’s show at Bournemouth Opera House will not take place on medical advice. Morrissey has now been released from hospital and is under doctors’ instruction to rest. Event organisers apologize for this unavoidable situation,” the spokesperson said.

A statement on his official website adds: “Morrissey is in stable condition after his collapse in Swindon on Saturday night. Thanks go out to all his well wishers, more information will be posted as soon as it is available.”

British TV presenter Jonathan Ross claims he spoke to the “This Charming Man” hitmaker’s personal assistant and believes the singer, whose full name is Steven Patrick Morrissey, will resume his tour at London’s Royal Albert Hall Tuesday (Oct. 27).

He wrote on his Twitter page: “He is resting and hoping to finish these dates.

“At the moment he’s hoping to be fit to do London on Tuesday so should definitely be able to do Leeds I think.

Morrissey has already cancelled several dates this year because of undisclosed illness.

In the most recent incident, two band members carried him offstage where he was treated by an emergency medical team.

He had said to the 1,000-strong audience: “Good evening… probably,” before performing The Smiths’ 1983 hit, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

The Smiths, Morrissey’s former band,  shot to prominence in the 1980s with their bleak but sardonic songs and had a string of hits including “What Difference Does it Make” and “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now,” before they split in 1988.

Back to Top